Prevention Highlight of the Month:
President Biden Speaks About Prevention Efforts During the 2023 State of the Union Address
President Biden focused on mental health and substance use during the State of the Union Address this year. These topics have captured public attention over the past few years with the COVID-19 pandemic showing us just how prevalent mental health and substance use challenges are. There is no solution that can address these issues once and for all, but President Biden's administration has developed strategies to address each of these concerns.
Mental health is an important part of the administration's agenda because data shows that 40% of American adults report symptoms of anxiety and depression, and the percentage of children and adolescents experiencing these mental health concerns continues to rise. Here are some ways the Biden administration plans to address mental health concerns:
- Create better safeguards for social media such as no targeted advertising online for youth, and strengthening data privacy.
- Improve school-based mental health treatment
- Prioritize research that addresses the national mental health crisis
President Biden focused on substance use prevention by sharing data about fentanyl trafficking, plans on how to address overdose and poisoning deaths, and how to expand access to evidence-based prevention, harm reduction, treatment, and recovery. Here are some of the ways the president plans on continuing efforts to keep our communities safe from substances:
- Work with international partners to disrupt the global fentanyl production and supply chain.
- Work with states on making naloxone more readily available in every community by offering assistance in using existing funding, and provide training and resources on using and distributing naloxone.
- Ensure that every jail and prison in the country can provide treatment for substance use disorder.
Please visit the link below to learn more about these efforts, and to learn about other plans the administration has to address mental health and substance use in our country.
FACT SHEET: In State of the Union, President Biden to Outline Vision to Advance Progress on Unity Agenda in Year Ahead